Welcome to my blog! Like most times I try and write diaries, emails and all things which require words on paper, I get really in to it for about a day and then I lose interest... this time I hope it will be different...

You can help by leaving me comments on things I write.. If I know you've been reading that will give me motivation to keep writing :)Not sure what it will say, thoughts of the moment, things I've been doing perhaps, but most of all its my life in New York, my NY second, so hop on board for the ride :)

Saturday, September 27, 2008

these shoes are made for walking

on coming to New York someone said to me 'you have never seen so many shoe stores in your life! you see one massive store, and then another and another, all lined up to the ceilings with shoes'... well its true, but not only that, they all have a roaring trade... and now I can see why... in a city where everyone walks everywhere, you go through shoes like no tomorrow... there is no 'wearing in a shoe', if you get a blister, chuck them... the uneven pavement and cobblestone streets are enough to eat up any jimmy choo heel... that's wear the clever new york woman's mind comes in to play... every girl's handbag has the essential item of a pair of flats... mandatory for anyone without a limo taking you door to door... the flats are for walking in the street, then once inside the flats are swapped for heels and the flats make their way into your handbag... two pairs of shoes for every journey..

as a walker to work, i too carry multiple shoes with me.. underneath my desk at work resembles a small shoe store in itself, as i wear my thongs (aka flip flops) to work, and swap to heels whilst inside... this week i went shoe shopping, and very maturely shopped for shoes depending on their soles rather then what they looked like!

so I was in macy's looking at shoes, and I had a pair in my hand I wanted to try on, instead of queuing up and asking for the size, a lady approached me to help me (yes this is service city...) I told her what size and she pulled out this little electronic device, scanned the bar code on my shoe, offered me it in different colours, told me what sizes she had left in the storeroom, took my name, and said they'll be with you in a minute if youd like to keep browsing, and that was that, she went on to the next lady, and in a few minutes someone had brought me not only the pair I asked for, but a size larger and a size smaller just in case!!! this city has it sorted... love it.

I got a few nice pairs for indoors and a great pair of rain boots for outdoors! Rain boots are THE accessory, stripe ones, spotty ones, marc jacobs ones, burberry ones, red ones, pink ones, flowery ones, you name it you can get it on your rain boots! me, I just stuck to black... but I love them! bring on the snow!! i feel like a kid again, it was raining this week so i wore them to work, (and of course changed when i got there!) it was great....walked straight through flooded streets, wasn't afraid of soggy toes!!!

as a side note... the biggest Australian import into New York has to be the ugg boot! every shoe store stocks aussie ugg boots, I havent even seen this many ugg boots in australia... they go crazy for them here!!!... looking for a new job? export ugg boots!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

want to see a photo of you in your gumboots so I can have a giggle