Welcome to my blog! Like most times I try and write diaries, emails and all things which require words on paper, I get really in to it for about a day and then I lose interest... this time I hope it will be different...

You can help by leaving me comments on things I write.. If I know you've been reading that will give me motivation to keep writing :)Not sure what it will say, thoughts of the moment, things I've been doing perhaps, but most of all its my life in New York, my NY second, so hop on board for the ride :)

Saturday, August 9, 2008

making a buck

Been at work now for two weeks and it is going really well, it is a smaller team which is nice, we're only 15 and the projects are challenging and eye opening...Im working on the corner of Broadway and Broome (just 5 or so doors up from where Heath Ledger died) and in the heart of Soho's shopping district.. which means lunch breaks always end up more expensive then a sandwich and drink!

One thing I've noticed through work (you'll probably laugh) but there's a LOT of money in this city...there's a bad economy that people are whinging about, but the wealthy people are wealthy and they're not afraid to spend it! The other thing I've noticed are the entrepreneurial kids, it is really refreshing to see young kids with big ideas getting out there and realising their dreams.. of course the money for this is coming from somewhere but they are really out there to make a name for themselves... there is massive competition amongst young adults with huge emphaisis on the college you studied at, and if it wasnt Yale or Harvard or Columbia, you dont stand a chance... most of the clients i have been seeing are under 25 and running there own start up businesses.. its really impressive what they are doing, Sydney kids pull your socks up!

No wonder Willy Loman had a hard time..

Trivia: The building I work in is called the Houghwout Building, one of the oldest in Soho, and its made of steel.. but crafted to look like stone.. so much so that its magnetic... tourists walk up to it and stick magnets to the side of the building! Its amusing.. Its also got the oldest working lift in all of Manhattan.. it is wooden and rickety and has an elevator man who pulls a lever to get you up to the floor you need to get to... he's name is ramon, and I am his favourite :)

ps. I've put up some more pics.. catch them here

No comments: