Welcome to my blog! Like most times I try and write diaries, emails and all things which require words on paper, I get really in to it for about a day and then I lose interest... this time I hope it will be different...

You can help by leaving me comments on things I write.. If I know you've been reading that will give me motivation to keep writing :)Not sure what it will say, thoughts of the moment, things I've been doing perhaps, but most of all its my life in New York, my NY second, so hop on board for the ride :)

Saturday, August 9, 2008

North, South, East, West, Left, Right, Up, Down

For those of you who don't know NY is built mostly on an even grid of streets, each block as flat and anonymous looking at the next (can you write that?!), with genius non-descript names such as 1st ave, 1st street, 2nd ave, 2nd street, and so on all the way up to the 200's, each train is called the 1,2,3,4,A,B,C... each subway station has 4 exits, NorthWest, NorthEast, SouthWest, SouthEast, and most streets are one way...they think it makes life easy.. well it doesn't...each time I leave the train station i end up on the SE side when i need the NW side, i get on the 6 train going downtown instead of uptown and always manage to walk six blocks in the wrong direction before I realise the street numbers are getting larger and not smaller or im walking east instead of west! When she said left at 33rd street she meant left and not right, and when he asked which side of the one way street I wanted to be dropped off at I said right when really I meant left.

disgruntled commuter.
(who will one day learn her left from her right.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you need to do those hand signals where you make an L with your 2 fingers on your left hand, that might help...

Marissa Frydman said...

you know... those L hand signals.. they both start looking correct after a little while!

Tova said...

is the L for loser?