Welcome to my blog! Like most times I try and write diaries, emails and all things which require words on paper, I get really in to it for about a day and then I lose interest... this time I hope it will be different...

You can help by leaving me comments on things I write.. If I know you've been reading that will give me motivation to keep writing :)Not sure what it will say, thoughts of the moment, things I've been doing perhaps, but most of all its my life in New York, my NY second, so hop on board for the ride :)

Sunday, August 24, 2008

What a great day was Saturday, woke up did my washing then headed to the Hudson river (not so far, a 40 minute walk) and we went kayaking! I went with a friend Talia, and we paddled between the piers for an hour or so. Not the cleanest water (i think you would catch a disease if you fell in!) and it was a little choppy but we had a great time paddling round... we left there with our newly acquired life jacket suntans and headed in to the west village for a bite. Was such great weather and so nice to be outside all day!

After dark we met up with some others and headed to see my friend Orly sing at a local bar which was great as usual, and then moved on to dinner, followed by going to see Lior... yes another australian singer... at The Living Room, an intimate bar on the Lower East Side. He was unbelievable live, much better then on the radio. Like a true groupie I bought his CD's and got him to sign them.. (but I did refrain from asking him if he remembers singing at my sister's batmitzvah...)

Where we went to next was something cool... we followed about 10 of our newly made friends (and some old ones...) across the LES and down some dark stairs across some concrete landing and up a few stairs on the other side to enter a dark, dimly lit, velvet covered bar somewhere out of the 20's (maybe it was 30's!)... there was old antique furniture everywhere, big wooden globes of the world in stands...hidden doors behind large bookcases... im doing a really bad job of describing this place, but it definitely wasnt what I was expecting... looking around there was something strange... everyone was drinking out of teacups... and they werent drinking tea or coffee!! Where we had landed was in a prohibition bar, buried deep underground so it wouldnt be found, it was a bar from the 1920's when drinking alcohol was prohibited. Locals would go there and drink out of white tea cups and saucers, bottles of wine were in ice buckets inside these massive globes, all in an effort to hide the alcohol that was being served. Obviously now done up, the place is beautifully refurbished taking you back in time to another world...although if you want to sit at a table in the bar it will cost you a neat $300 bottle of wine before you are allowed to sit. If you come visit I'll take you there :)

Of course the night had to end trashy with Talia, Elaine and I singing Aretha Franklin through the streets of the LES... passing a few hens nights, and not to mention a galavant through American Apparel's range in the middle of the night... what kind of clothing store stays open till 2am anyway?!

xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean one day you will come kayaking with us on Sydney Harbour?
J xx

Anonymous said...

i cant believe the one chance we get to relive the fame of my batmitzvah and you fob it off...
disgraceful

Unknown said...

Ah - did we need to know you did your washing?

Anonymous said...

seaweed: cant believe there is nothing new for me to read today :(